I’m on vacation this week, and while it wasn’t easy to follow as many games as normal this holiday weekend, I caught my fair share, and know enough about the few “important” ones to figure this whole poll thing out.
Not too much shuffling, and explanations from Week 1 to Week 2 don’t change too much unless a team actually played an opponent with a pulse, so here goes…
1. Auburn (Last Week: 1)
2. Texas (2) – I had them shuffled a little lower just by a result of teams in their immediate vicinity taking care of business against much better opposition than North Texas. But, only giving up seven points while watching Kathy Ireland on the opposing sideline is no easy task. (My bad, I’m thinking of “North Texas State“.
3. Ohio State (3) – Garrett Wolfe did exactly what I thought he might be able to do against the Buckeyes. His teammates did not. And I swear the first time the “Hey Ted, run as fast as you can, then stop and turn around” play doesn’t go for a touchdown, Jim Tressel is going to have him pull the “Ow! My ankle!…then go” play, or just flat have him run a pattern behind a row of parked cars along the sideline. (Escalades, of course.)
4. USC (5) – Edged ahead of LSU for winning on the road against an SEC (albeit-Arkansas) team, as opposed to beating Directional Louisiana U. at home.
5. LSU (4) – See above.
6. Florida (8)
7. Florida State (15)
8. Tennessee (13) – Ripped Cal’s “We’re #1” foam finger to shreds, then Phil Fulmer served it with a side of bacon cheese fries and a pound of butter.
9. Notre Dame (7) – Held relatively steady, drop a touch through no fault of their own, but the sluggish start didn’t help.
10. West Virginia (14) – A snap and a twist and their road to the Big East title looks a little easier.
11. Michigan (9) – It was “throwback day” at Michigan Stadium, as the Wolverines broke out last year’s offense vs. Vanderbilt.
12. Georgia (12)
13. Nebraska (16)
14. Oklahoma (10)
15. Louisville (18) – The Tyrone Prothro Theorem says the Cards continue to rise until they prove they don’t belong. With no Michael Bush, that promises to be not too far off.
16. Iowa (17)
17. Clemson (19)
18. Cal (11) – “We’re Number O…ohhhh my God….”
19. Miami, Fla. (6) – Remember what I said about finding an offense? Maybe you need to stop this scheduling FSU off the top business. (That said, major props for scheduling FSU right off the top again!)
20. Arizona State (20)
21. Virginia Tech (22)
22. Penn State (24)
23. Texas Tech (NR)
24. Pittsburgh (NR)
25. Georgia Tech (23) – A valiant effort against the media darlings, but this game is 60 minutes, regardless of what rule changes the coaches may come up with next.
Dropped Out: Northern Illinois, Michigan State